Skip to main content

WEDNESDAY 4TH JULY 2018 THE IRONY OF COMFORT!

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL
DATE: WEDNESDAY 4TH JULY 2018
THEME: THE IRONY OF COMFORT!
MEMORISE:
But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while
she liveth. 1 Timothy 5:6
READ: 2 Samuel 11:1-5
1 And it came to pass, after the year was
expired, at the time when kings go forth to
battle, that David sent Joab, and his servants
with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed
the children of Ammon, and besieged
Rabbah. But David tarried still at Jerusalem.
2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that
David arose from off his bed, and walked
upon the roof of the king's house: and from
the roof he saw a woman washing herself;
and the woman was very beautiful to look
upon.
3 And David sent and inquired after the
woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba,
the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the
Hittite?
4 And David sent messengers, and took her;
and she came in unto him, and he lay with
her; for she was purified from her
uncleanness: and she returned unto her
house.
5 And the woman conceived, and sent and
told David, and said, I am with child.
MESSAGE
While God is not against His people enjoying
a comfortable life, He is against us living for
pleasure. There is a life of comfort and
pleasure that can ultimately lead to spiritual
death. After God gave David rest from the life
of wandering in the wilderness as a
shepherd, fugitive, mercenary and warrior
king, he started living in pleasure, so much
so that he no longer went to battle. In the
course of his life of leisure, pleasure and
comfort, he fell into sin that would have
destroyed his destiny, but for the mercies of
God. He experienced spiritual death and had
to cry to God for restoration (Psalm 51).
Spiritual death is a condition of alienation
from God because of sin. It is the absence of
spiritual life, which means physically alive
without having a relationship with God.
Ultimately, it leads to permanent separation
from God. By nature, all of mankind is dead
spiritually. However, whosoever accepts
Jesus as Lord and Saviour becomes
genuinely born again and experiences
transformative change. Such a person is
liberated from spiritual death and is made
alive by the Holy Spirit.
After experiencing new life in Christ, we are
encouraged to take pleasure in everything
God has created, but never to allow pleasure
in His creation to overshadow pleasure in
the Creator Himself. We live in times when
the desire to live a pleasurable life is most
paramount on people's mind. We must not
allow ourselves to become overtaken by the
wanton desire for pleasure we see all
around us. Remember that in the last days,
men will become lovers of pleasure more
than lovers of God (2 Timothy 3:4). In these
perilous times, people are craving to satisfy
the lust of the flesh through food, drinks,
stimulants and sexual gratification. They also
strive to satisfy the lust of the eyes through
fashion, materialism and inordinate
acquisition of the beautiful things of this life.
Lastly, they live to satisfy the pride of life
through the accumulation of titles,
recognition, fame and other achievements.
Children of God must not be caught in the
snare of the devil. With respect to the
pleasure of this world, the Spirit of God
recommends restraint and discipline to
every child of God. In 1 Corinthians 7:31, He
says:
“And they that use this world, as not
abusing it: for the fashion of this world
passeth away.”
God's people must have self-control, be
generous and have consideration for others.
The Bible insists that anyone who places
priority on pleasure or invests much time
and resources into a pleasure-seeking
lifestyle is spiritually dead, even though alive
physically. There are so many of such people
in the Church of God today (Revelation 3:1)!
I pray that God will help such people to
recognise their state and move them to cry
to Him for restoration.
PRAYER POINT:
Father, help me to overcome every craving in
me that will lead to spiritual death in Jesus’
Name.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
1 Chronicles 28-29, Acts 21:37-22:11
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN 15: NEARER MY GOD TO THEE
1. Nearer, my God to Thee,
Nearer to Thee!
E'en though it be a cross
That raiseth me,
Still all my song shall be.
Nearer, my God to Thee!
Nearer, my God to Thee!
Nearer to Thee!
2. Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down.
Darkness be over me,
My rest a stone.
Yet in my dreams I'd be
Nearer, my God to Thee!
Nearer, my God to Thee!
Nearer to Thee!
3. There let the way appear
Steps unto heaven;
All that Thou send'st to me
In mercy given:
Angels to beckon me
Nearer, my God, to Thee!
Nearer, my God to Thee!
Nearer to Thee!
4. Then, with my waking thoughts
Bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs
Bethel I'll raise
So by my woes to be
Nearer, my God, to Thee!
Nearer, my God to Thee!
Nearer to Thee!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TUESDAY 3RD MARCH 2020.THEME: NIGHT TIME.

OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL DATE: TUESDAY 3RD MARCH 2020. THEME:  NIGHT TIME. MEMORISE: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. Matthew 13:25 READ: Acts 23:23-35 23 And he called unto him two centurions, saying, Make ready two hundred soldiers to go to Caesarea, and horsemen threescore and ten, and spearmen two hundred, at the third hour of the night; 24 And provide them beasts, that they may set Paul on, and bring him safe unto Felix the governor. 25 And he wrote a letter after this manner: 26 Claudius Lysias unto the most excellent governor Felix sendeth greeting. 27 This man was taken of the Jews, and should have been killed of them: then came I with an army, and rescued him, having understood that he was a Roman. 28 And when I would have known the cause wherefore they accused him, I brought him forth into their council: 29 Whom I perceived to be accused of questions of their law, but to have nothing laid to his charge worthy of death

Prayer Points On Today’s Open Heavens: (Monday, February 4, 2019) – Embrace Truth

Prayer Points On Today’s Open Heavens: (Monday, February 4, 2019) – Embrace Truth Prayer Points On Today’s Open Heavens: (Monday, February 4, 2019) – Embrace Truth 1.I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praises unto thy holy name, O most high God. 2.Father, in anyway I have fallen short of your glory, please, have mercy and forgive me, in Jesus’ name. 3.Father, in Your presence, there is fullness of joy, please, let my joy be full, 24/7, on a daily basis, in Jesus’ name. 4.Father, let every source of bitter water that has flown into my life, dry up, now, in Jesus’ name.    5.Father, please, do something for me and my family, this season, that will cause us to be glad and rejoice, for the rest of our lives, in Jesus’ name. 6.Father, please, do not allow sorrow to mix with my joy; let no power be able to cut short my joy and celebrations, in Jesus’ name. 7.Father, let Your joy be my portion and strength, all the days o

2 JANUARY 2019 – A CHILD OF ISSACHAR? OPEN HEAVEN 2 JANUARY 2019

OPEN HEAVEN 2 JANUARY 2019 – A CHILD OF ISSACHAR? OPEN HEAVEN 2 JANUARY 2019 MEMORISE: And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. 1 John 5:20 OPEN HEAVEN 2 JANUARY 2019 READ: 1 Chronicles 12:32 And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment. As we start another year, it is pertinent for us to have an understanding of the times we live in, in order for us to succeed. The good thing about understanding is that it belongs to God (Psalm 147:5). Today’s memory verse reveals that one of the reasons why the Lord Jesus Christ came to this world is to give us understanding. Click To Read – Rccg Prophecy For 2019 By Pastor E A Adeboye How then do we gain access to the